I am a gadget person. As I have pointed out before, if it lights up that pretty indigo blue or makes cool noises…I’m your writer. I love my iPad, I love neat little software programs and I love my iPhone with Suri who calls me “Writer Jai”…I admit it…I am a geek. But there is some danger in loving all this stuff…let me explain…
I am a writer first, a geek second, at least that is my struggle. It is very easy for me to get distracted with all of the bells and whistles and forget to, well, actually write. I get a new writing program and I spend so much time trying to master it that I lose sight of the whole reason I got it in the first place…to help me write. It’s kind of silly when you consider it.
My advice to all you writers out there who are like me and love the “cool” factor is to proceed with caution. By all means go out there and find the cool writing stuff but make sure that you are also taking time to write while you are doing it. I am constantly on the lookout for programs that will make the whole process easier but, let’s be honest, if I’m not actually writing….what’s the point of the programs.
Having said all that, I wanted to share a few cool writing programs with all of you. Check them out; one might just work for you. If you have suggestions for me, bring them on…I’m game.
- Scrivener – Coolest writing program ever. Takes a bit to master it but once you do, it’s great.
- Story Tracker – This is submission software. I like it so far but I am still exploring. If it does what it says it does, it will be a great tool.
- Novel in 30 – This is an iPad program that is kind of fun and will hold you to your work progress.
- Moleskine – This is the classic moleskine that we all love but in an iPad app. http://mymoleskine.moleskine.com/community/mymoleskine_apps.php
- PrimoPDF – This is a FREE PDF creator. It’s FREE. It works really well and did I mention that it is FREE?
These are just a few of the iPad and computer programs that I think are really cool but remember, explore these and others BUT don’t forget to write. There really is no point in programs to make writing easier if you aren’t actually writing…..
© The Writer’s Advice, 2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.